Blatancy

Retribution - how I play my paladins

6 posts in this topic

Hey all, I am Blatancy the Insane, have been on Taran'Zhu since its opening on Pandashan (Pandashan For Life).  Over the years I have done leveling guides, money making guides, but never a Retribution Paladin Guide.  Please note: I only PvP, so I will be going over how I pvp with my paladins (i have 4 90s, and several twinks)

So here we go...

Stat Import -

Spoiler

Hit and Expertise to 5% then HASTE > mastery = crit  

I cannot tell you how many paladins i see stacking mastery and it drives me up the wall.  the reason Haste > Mastery is simple.  Sanctity of Battle    less cooldown/GCD means more holy power.  more holy power mean more big hits.

Perks - (disclaimer - this is how I like to pvp with my paladins, i recommend this set up when asked in game)

Spoiler

Level 15 - Speed of Light  

I love this perk for its utility.  catching running flaggers, running with flag, combat and need to move quickly, looking awesome trailing gold behind you.  the 70% speed boost is awesome

Level 30 - Evil is a Point of View  

i fucking love fearing people.  some people like Fist of Justice, but personally i would rather add the fear.  FoJ is nice (it halves the cooldown and doubles the distance of Hammer of Justice) but i would rather have the extra CC in the fear. 

Level 45 - Selfless Healer

3 Judgements = free insta cast Flash of Light heal with 20% more healing per stack.   couple with Supplication (8 seconds of killing enemy 100% crit Flash of light) this has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

Level 60 - Clemency 

PvP Utility and the other choices suck

Level 75 - Holy Avenger

Lot of Holy Avenger/Divine Purpose debate.  Divine Purpose is nice, but it has a few draw backs.   you cant control when it pops, and it sometimes eats your holy power anyways.  Holy Avenger however.... allows you to rotate 1 holy power generating move > Templars Verdict > repeat until expires.  this is your HUGE burst.  100% recommend over Divine Purpose.

Level 90 - Execution Sentence

Holy Prism is awesome.  but i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE es.  it looks cool, it does decent enough damage, and it works as a HoT.  again personal preference

Glyphs - 

Spoiler

MAJOR

Glyph of Avenging Wrath - HoT utility added to massive burst cooldown

Glyph of Templar's Verdict  - Damage Reduction, during Holy Avenger burst its amazing

Glyph of Word of Glory - Damage Increase. 

Glyph of Word of Glory is there ONLY because Glyph of Inquisition doesnt work.

MINOR (i consider Falling avenger Required, but the other 2 completely optional) 

Glyph of Falling Avenger - slow fall :D

Glyph of Fire From the Heavens - looks awesome 

Glyph of Contemplation  - looks awesome

Some details about burst and other things-

Spoiler

1. Guardian of Ancient Kings - this builds up a damage buff.  12 stacks.  use this when you are preparing to burst, not AS you burst for max effect.

2. Avenging Wrath , Holy Avenger, Devotion Aura   these are you heavy burst cooldowns.  AW and HA increase your damage, haste, and holy power generation astronomically.  AW allows you to use Hammer of Wrath, and spam templars verdict for complete devastation.  Devotion Aura is to reduce the chances of you being stopped mid burst by pesky things.

3.  i use ONE macro on all my paladins, call me a noob if you want but its all i need.  its simple and it works

/cast Devotion Aura

/cast Holy Avenger

/cast Avenging wrath

again USE GoAK FIRST AND BUILD STACKS.  i cannot stress this enough.  it VASTLY improves your damage.

4. Seal of justice.  Seal of truth adds 5 stack dot that does shit damage.  SoJ adds 20% weapon damage AND slows enemies.  do i need to explain more?

5. seal of insight.  STOP IT.  the heal is random and shitty, who gives a damn about casting as a ret paladin, and no damage boost.   

6. INQUISITION - 2 things   1. keep this up at all times.  ALL TIMES.  2. glyph of inquisition doesnt work otherwise it would be listed

Gems and Enchants

Spoiler

i use gems and enchants to make sure i am at hit/expertise cap

then i go for strength and haste   if neither is available i take crit or mastery

pretty simple.

So Yeah this is how I paladin.  i have no idea if its the best way to paladin, but its the way i have always done it and it gets the job done for me.  If nothing else I hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers

DV Blatancy the Insane 

Edited by Blatancy

here comes the war stories.

16 hours ago, Apok said:

here comes the war stories.

For You   < Clicky and follow the instructions

lets keep this on topic now yes?

look my caping you hit and expertise it's pretty useless I think while to max your mastry crit or haste (I'd go for haste), hit and expertise if you want you pala go full at rogues or war while die by the sword (btw die by the sword will parry whatever melee attacked is done). For glyphes I prefer divine shield (5 effects removed=50% of max HP) and burden of guilt (judgment slow enemy 50% for 2 sec !useful against range attackers) and of course templar's verdict for reduced damage. I don't get your point of putting word of glory for damage the effect is very short and could make you lose time of your burst (want to know your personal reason and use for it and want to know your thoughts of harsh words glyph) and for the macro I think you need to better do as following remove devotion aura (for another macro) and replace it with inquisition (be sure to have 3 holy power so it sure active though sometimes it get activated with no holy power as if 3 holy power used) the second macro will be against mages, put devotion aura and divine protection ( 60% magic damage reduction / remove silence !can be used while having silence -very useful- and immune to interrupt effects while casting) and I'm trying to find new macro for some kind of situations against mages,rogues and monks (it's tactic more than macro).

5 hours ago, kightxkight said:

look my caping you hit and expertise it's pretty useless I think while to max your mastry crit or haste (I'd go for haste), hit and expertise if you want you pala go full at rogues or war while die by the sword (btw die by the sword will parry whatever melee attacked is done). For glyphes I prefer divine shield (5 effects removed=50% of max HP) and burden of guilt (judgment slow enemy 50% for 2 sec !useful against range attackers) and of course templar's verdict for reduced damage. I don't get your point of putting word of glory for damage the effect is very short and could make you lose time of your burst (want to know your personal reason and use for it and want to know your thoughts of harsh words glyph) and for the macro I think you need to better do as following remove devotion aura (for another macro) and replace it with inquisition (be sure to have 3 holy power so it sure active though sometimes it get activated with no holy power as if 3 holy power used) the second macro will be against mages, put devotion aura and divine protection ( 60% magic damage reduction / remove silence !can be used while having silence -very useful- and immune to interrupt effects while casting) and I'm trying to find new macro for some kind of situations against mages,rogues and monks (it's tactic more than macro).

some changes have been made since i wrote this, and im going to put those in

word of glory: i used ONLY because Glyph of inquisition didnt work.  its been fixed.  

i use seal of justice over seal of truth because seal of justice adds more damage, AND slows, freeing up a glyph slot.

devotion aura in the main burst cooldown to avoid well timed silences and such as you are bursting. 

inquisition should NEVER be off of you therefore adding it to burst cooldown is a waste of holy power

12 hours ago, Blatancy said:

some changes have been made since i wrote this, and im going to put those in

word of glory: i used ONLY because Glyph of inquisition didnt work.  its been fixed.  

i use seal of justice over seal of truth because seal of justice adds more damage, AND slows, freeing up a glyph slot.

devotion aura in the main burst cooldown to avoid well timed silences and such as you are bursting. 

inquisition should NEVER be off of you therefore adding it to burst cooldown is a waste of holy power

But if you putted word of glory as I said and used it in your burst it add maximum of 12% more damage but you know it use 3 holy power and has global cooldown that might cause you to lose a use of templar verdict and it duration is very very short that it couldn't help to get more than 2 hits. For the seals you are right but you need to know that sometime you need to change to seal of truth just for it DoT (it help's much against DK's and war's in low HP situations) and for inquisition it's true but I have hard time making it all times on me but in general I do it. the second macro I told you about 60% magic damage reduced you need to chick it (In fact it was 80% when I entered the server divine protection was giving up to 60% magic damage reduction but now 40% but generally it's useful against shamans and locks -chaos bolt-).one thing you didn't answer about expertise and hit chance I didn't get that point of caping them (by gems or whatever instead of caping mastery/crit/haste). I really want to see your status and other things if you cloud post them here by picture or just writing them (of course with your drop status -reforge- and gems) and share if you can tactic against the following classes (DK -unholy- / shaman -DPS specs- / mage -arcane- ) -Let us share experience to catch up to those class though some important pala spells don't work as it used to be in real Wow MoP-.