Blackhearted

[Declined] Editing your own posts [Website]

4 posts in this topic

Title: Editing your own posts

Type: Website

Description: 

Hey,

I'm here to suggest/ask you about the editing of posts.

Why is it currently disabled and could it be possible for us to be able to edit our posts/guides?

What just came to my mind is that if you feel uncomfortable adding the feature to everyone could you make a semi-admin rank that allowed you to edit your own posts?

So if you wrote a guide ja like and would like to add or edit something in the original post it would be possible.

To gain such rank you would just need to apply for it.

Giving this feature to everypne thought would save you the work of viewin applications and I can't really see what can be so harmful about being able to esit your posts.

You can Edit your Post just within Minutes from Submitting it , But i think there should be a feature to edit it all time 

Title: Allowing Edit Permissions For Guides Sections

Type: Forums

Description: 

Hi, I wonder if you could allow editing for guides sections. For example, there are some updates that needs to be added to guides from time to time. Though, after a while the topics no longer allow editing. It would be really awesome if you added that option for guides sections.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

Previous topic: 

Posts can be categorized in two:

Short, transient comments like in a chat or instant-messaging These are seldom read after the discussion ended (or after a few days). The current settings are tuned towards this use-case, as editing these later would change the meaning of the discussion.  A similar solution on discord is that you can edit only your last response in every thread.

Long, static posts giving information to many people over a long time. These are mostly guides, and would be edited over time to update small parts. This is not possible atm without asking a forum moderator for help. The options available cause confusion or loss of information:

• Reposting as a new topic and deleting the old will lose the history of replies.
  • Reposting as a new topic without deleting the old is confusing:  some people will read the original, some will read the updated.
  • Reposting as a reply in the original topic has the same issue: some will read the updated, but after a few replies it will get lost between the replies, and nobody will notice except librarians.

Enabling the option for the owner to edit the inital post, if it is over a certain threshold (like 5 or 10 lines, not counting empties, whitespace) should be a good solution to care for both use-cases.

At the moment forum moderators can do the edit for you if you put valueable effort into the post, and provide the new content ready to be copy-pasted in a temporary post (that will be deleted).

Without help or the edit option, the most survivable solution seems to be:

• To make a new topic with the update (and optionally a backreference to the old topic).
  • Redirect readers of the old topic with a reply referencing the new topic.
  • Asking a forum moderator to close the old topic (optionally archive too).

Kind regards,
Former forum mod Dallaryen