Kon

[Declined] Legion test realm [In-game]

14 posts in this topic

Title: Legion test realm

Type: In-game

Description: 

It would be ideal for the Sylvanas realm to have a supporting realm which purpsose is to test future patches.

My suggestion is as follows:

• Build a realm that only goes live when a patch is ready to be tested.
  • Have its players be chosen by the developers or by Game Masters so people can be filtered.
  • Let the testers know of the changes so they can test accordingly.
  • Have a separate Bugtracker for this realm.

If something like this exists, patches that go on to live will be much more stable and the overall quality of the server consequently improves and that brings more players and makes them stay.

Edited by Kon

There is already a Test realm but only for Class masters etc , they opened it for player at test of mythic + 

1 person likes this

Then, Iguess it needs people testing more technical stuff like certain mechanics, events/scenarios and quests. The kind of thing that can result in a crash.

they have a team called "Quality Assurance" their job is to help Devs or Game Master to test things, but dunno how many members they are

well consider that most people rather play then test, and also testers dont get paid, they just do it as a gift to us all...

thats why you cant expect them to find all that stuff.

also some stuff only occurs with high numbers of players and big diversity of classes.

Even if you let everyone go on test server, you wont see enough there to find out all stuff-

Many things can only be found out and seen on our live realm anyway.

I think we can be happy that Quality Assurance test so many things at all, but on a private server, you cant ask for more.

7 minutes ago, Sarah Shan said:

well consider that most people rather play then test, and also testers dont get paid, they just do it as a gift to us all...

thats why you cant expect them to find all that stuff.

also some stuff only occurs with high numbers of players and big diversity of classes.

Even if you let everyone go on test server, you wont see enough there to find out all stuff-

Many things can only be found out and seen on our live realm anyway.

I think we can be happy that Quality Assurance test so many things at all, but on a private server, you cant ask for more.

Well They can just let people who want to help them just help them with the next patch. Would be way better if more people was helping then like only devs/gms

97% of the people who play on the test realm when it's open do not actually test stuff, anyway, the realm does open to the public when something big is being tested though so no worries, and yes we do get 'paid' in coins if we do enough work. you can always apply to be a QA member if you wish to test stuff.

55 minutes ago, endeavoru said:

they have a team called "Quality Assurance" their job is to help Devs or Game Master to test things

But they do half the job, they never test all things, look at this french post and all the things we have report and they dont : 

http://fr.forum.firestorm-servers.com/index.php?/topic/24783-retour-utilisateur-mm/

it sounds great, but it don't work.. i'm sorry but it just does not. let's look at recent events.. the EN HC & Mythic raid was on live for testing for quite a while, the mythic still is.. the amount of information we have gained from this is fairly limited, and most reports came from QA/CM's... The open PTR was there for 1 week to test mythic+, 1 report was usefull that we did not know off.. rest of the time, players playd the game, stood afk for hours farming artifact level 54 at the vendor, or did PvP. This suggested was there when EN normal opened, i tried really hard to get PTR open for other stuff, and HC & Mythic, and like i started saying, really not that much information, that the QA team aint already getting.

Edited by tweek
1 person likes this

Thing is - most people don't TEST stuff on TEST realm. They just play because they can get all the artifact traits, the good gear etc.

^ lol true

i think they should open PTR before applying new "Update" that later will became "Changelog" with bunch of fix and changes, maybe 1 or 2 weeks before applying update

On 6/28/2017 at 6:44 PM, Bohrhav said:

But they do half the job, they never test all things, look at this french post and all the things we have report and they dont : 

http://fr.forum.firestorm-servers.com/index.php?/topic/24783-retour-utilisateur-mm/

how can you assume that they would update realms with untested stuff? that is just pure bs. ofc we test everything, it's not the qa team's fault some issues appear/don't get fixed upon updating live realms.

21 hours ago, endeavoru said:

^ lol true

i think they should open PTR before applying new "Update" that later will became "Changelog" with bunch of fix and changes, maybe 1 or 2 weeks before applying update

that would mean sharing the changelog with players before it even comes out though. there are existing teams for testing such, which are given enough time, nothing ever gets applied without being tested and confirmed working on the test realms.

The realm will be opened when we need players to public test on it, most people who are on this realm don't even test the fixes

45 minutes ago, Inveric said:

The realm will be opened when we need players to public test on it, most people who are on this realm don't even test the fixes

As inveric said!
We experienced this with the WoD ptr!
Most times are actually community guilds who tag along with their QA members to help testing!
But we do have space for QA/CMs all the time!
Apply or contact me or tweek on discord!