Malthias

I think my ban is unfair, GMs plz respond

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I was banned by firestorm for 10 days because I said offensive things. Basically, I was making Hitler jokes. And I find it unfair for a few reasons. Yes, some people dont care, but I want this to potentially reach a GM. First off, what I said was a joke and not meant to be taken seriously. I didnt make death threats or anything. Second, people shit talk in this game all the time, getting personal too, yet those people never get banned, yet for my joke I do. Third, 10 days is a crazy long time! It is expecially long for a ban based off of a joke. Fourth, I never did something like this before. I got kicked off of chat a few times for anal jokes, but not for what I did this time. If a GM does see this, which probably wont happen, I want to know if a GM just banned me themself, or if someone reported me. Also, sorry if I was too whiney, but when I saw that I was banned for so long, I thought it was too much. Especially cause shit talking is a common thing on this server anyways. See ya!

1. This is not the right place to post a ban appeal in. Here is the proper place http://us.forum.firestorm-servers.com/index.php?/forum/117-ban-appeals/

2. Joking or not is irrelevant especially when the following was violated....

Section III - Common Courtesy and Social Rules

Insensitive commenting: Any statements related to the encouragement of drugs, terrorism, massacres or suicides. This also includes any jokes about huge tragedies that have affected the lives of people.
Punishment: Mute to 15 days account suspension.

If what you've said is accurate then the ban was clearly warranted. Either appeal it or wait it out.

Can you please explain what a ban appeal is? I havent ever done one. And I said I would like to know if I was reported by someone too. Maybe I can send an apology. And the punishment said a mute to 15 days. I would suggest a ban on a latter side would be something serious, like a death threat or attacking someones beliefs, which people get away with on this server as well? Can you please explain why a joke is put to such a high standard? 

An appeal is basically a form you type that the FS team looks at to determine whether or not the ban will be upheld or removed.

As for the rest of your statement that is something you should ask the staff. And actually a joke isn't the only thing held to a high standard. 

Ok. I would like to thank you for responding so fast! I was highly impressed by the speed of the responses. I will try the ban appeal, cause I want to get back to the game. I was having alot of fun the last few days. Once, again, thanks for the quick responses.

Don't expect them to lift the ban. Joking or not, you broke the rules. You could be lying and saying it was a joke now because you got caught and punished. The staff doesn't have special powers to see through people's mind. 

I've had my account suspended for 7 days once because I was talking shit about spaniards with other people in the world chat. I knew I was in the wrong and appealing wouldn't do anything. It's not the end of the world. Just play something else till then.

So don't get your hopes too high since it wasn't even your first transgression and punishment was deserved. Remember to be better next time.

If you're breaking rules make sure you're doing it on a chat where only your friends are and they wont report you (aka /w, party, raid etc.)

That's what I am doing and hey - it works!

10 days feels like too much for a joke.

6 hours ago, Malthias said:

First off, what I said was a joke and not meant to be taken seriously.
Second, people shit talk in this game all the time, getting personal too, yet those people never get banned, yet for my joke I do.
Third, 10 days is a crazy long time! It is expecially long for a ban based off of a joke.
Fourth, I never did something like this before. I got kicked off of chat a few times for anal jokes, but not for what I did this time.
5. If a GM does see this, which probably wont happen, I want to know if a GM just banned me themself, or if someone reported me. Also, sorry if I was too whiney, but when I saw that I was banned for so long, I thought it was too much.
6. Especially cause shit talking is a common thing on this server anyways. See ya!

Hello Malthias!

As a former moderator i can share with you my opinion on what happened to you, and the reasons for these rules, point-by-point:

1. It was a joke for you, but that does not mean it is a joke for others. For many people it touches very painful memories and this is why the rules explicitly ask you to practice good courtesy and to avoid these kind of jokes as you can't know that those hundred or more people reading your message will find it funny or the opposite: very hurting. Follow the advice of DrSandwich:  make a channel ingame with the command  /join yourchannelname (if it's not in use) and invite your friends, then you can be sure those who would find it offensive, won't be listening.

2. Many inproper messages go unseen by moderators, or unreported by players, and you are right that this is unfair from a personal perspective. From the perspective of the community: this is not a personal punishment specifically for you. The less shittalk in worldchat, the better for those who want to find a group, help, or trade. Other misbehaving people are also punished with similar bans from time to time, it is a matter of timing when this happens. Moderators try to filter as much as possible.

3. 10 days is long if you see it from the perspective that you did not mean to offend others. From a community perspective: there would be no rules against it if it was not offensive, independent from your intentions. Compare it to real life punishments which are generally much longer. Also, would you say that: 10 days for a vacation is crazy long time! It's summertime!

4. If you got kicked a few times, then this might be a cumulative punishment.

5. Bans are the decision of a gm, and you probably got kicked and reported by a moderator.

6. Yes, the community is strongly focused on toxic or negative behaviour. Make a trial account at Blizzard, and check out a few retail servers to see how much shittalking there should be. Firestorm has a long way to go to develop the community to that level.
Your suspension is one step on that path: by sharing it in a well-written post, you made it possible for others to learn from it, and already benefited the community.
Thank you for this contribution, and see you back in a few days.

Kind regards,
Dallaryen

Publicly discussing Staff decisions: Discussing or criticizing a decision made by a staff member in public is prohibited. These decisions include; bans, mutes, removals of staff members and warnings.

• Punishment: 1 infraction point.
  • Punishment: Warning.

Appeal your suspension here - http://us.forum.firestorm-servers.com/index.php?/forms/9-account-suspension-appeal/