Sam

[Tutorial] Balance Pve 5.4

9 posts in this topic

This is a guide for people beginning to play moonkins and have no idea where to start. I found several guides on several websites. Though, they are not that simple and clear. I will try to keep this guide as simple as possible.

Talents

You should pick 2,1,3,2,2,1. I will not discuss why I picked those over the others.

z6XlD0y.jpg

Glyphs

Sadly, none of the glyphs offer much to PvE. Though you may pick the following:

Major:

Glyph of Guided Stars. Your Starfall only hits targets affected by Moonfire or Sunfire. Only use this when people start blaming you for pulling bosses. If you know how to stay clear of bosses when you Starfall, do not use it at all. I used it for leveling, mostly.

Glyph of Stampede. Allows you to use your Stampede Roar in any form.

Glyph of Rebirth. Rebirth your target player at 100% HP.

Minor

Glyph of Grace. Probably the only somehow useful PvE glyph. It reduces falling damage even when you are not in cat form.

Glyph of the Stag. Allows you to carry a friend on your back.

Glyph of the Chameleon. Random hair color in Cat and Bear forms when you enable them.

Stats

As a moonkin, you want to focus on getting intellect Leather gear. Try getting everything Leather so you get the bonus intellect. Note that for us spirit=hit. This means if your item has 400 spirit on it, it gives you 400 hit. So, if you have two items one with spirit and another with hit, go for the spirit item. As for stats you must focus on the following.

Hit(=Spirit) Cap: 5100 -> Haste Cap: 5273 -> Crit

This means you need to get hit capped at 5100 then go for 5273 haste then go crit all the way. You can see your stats on your character view (press C) just click the arrow to the bottom right.

You can reach the above stats reforging, enchanting, and gemming without any issue at ilvl489 JP gear. At a higher ilvl gear when you can reach 10289 haste (reforging, enchanting, and gemming), you can go for it, for maximum dps. Reforge Mastery first, always.

Enchants

Head: None
Neck: None
Shoulders: Greater Crane Wing Inscription (=200 Intellect and 100 Critical Strike) or Secret Crane Wing Inscription (if you have Inscription) which is better
Back: Superior Intellect (=180 Intellect) or Lightweave Embroidery (if you have Tailoring) which is better.
Chest: Glorious Stats (=80 All Stats)
Wrists: Super Intellect (=180 Intellect) or Fur Lining - Intellect (if you have Leatherworking) which is better
Gloves: Greater Haste (=170 Haste) or Synapse Springs (if you have Engineering) which is better.

Waist: Living Steel Belt Buckle (=Extra Gem Socket)
Legs(Hit Cap): Greater Cerulean Spellthread (=285 Intellect and 165 Critical Strike) or Master's Spellthread (if you have tailoring) which is the same but you can make this with vendor items.
Legs(Not Hit Cap): Greater Pearlescent Spellthread (=285 Intellect and 165 Spirit) or Sanctified Spellthread which is the same but you can make this with vendor items.
Boots: Greater Haste (=175 Haste)

Rings: Greater Intellect(=160 Intellect) for Enchanters only
Weapon: Jade Spirit (or Windsong if you are low on money or using a low ilvl weapon)
Offhand: Major Intellect (=165 Intellect)

Gems

You should always pick gems that make you hit then haste capped trying to match the socket if possible.

Meta(Head Gem): Burning Primal Diamond (=216 Intellect and 3% Increased Critical Effect).

Blue:

Haste capped? Misty Wild Jade (=160 Spirit and 160 Critical Strike)
Not Haste capped? Energized Wild Jade (=160 Haste and 160 Spirit)

Red:

Have Jewelcrafting? Brilliant Serpent's Eye (=320 Intellect)
Hit and Haste capped? Potent Vermilion Onyx (=80 Intellect and 160 Critical Strike)
Hit capped not haste capped? Reckless Vermilion Onyx (=80 Intellect and 160 Haste)
Haste capped not hit capped? Purified Imperial Amethyst (=80 Intellect and 160 Spirit)

Yellow:
Hit and haste capped? Smooth Sun's Radiance (=320 Critical Strike)
Hit capped not haste capped? Quick Sun's Radiance (=320 Haste)
Haste capped not hit capped? Misty Wild Jade (=160 Spirit and 160 Critical Strike)
Not hit capped / not haste capped? Energized Wild Jade (=160 Haste and 160 Spirit)

Prismatic (Belt Buckles / Blacksmithing sockets):

Have Jewelcrafting? Brilliant Serpent's Eye (=320 Intellect)
Haste capped? Smooth Sun's Radiance (=320 Critical Strike)
Not Haste capped? Quick Sun's Radiance (=320 Haste)

Consumables

Flask: Flask of the Warm Sun (=1000 Intellect for 1 hour) or Crystal of Insanity (if you cannot afford buying flasks which is a non-consumable item that increases some of your stats by 500) which drops from a world elite.

Potion: Potion of the Jade Serpent (=4000 Intellect for 25 seconds).

Food: Mogu Fish Stew (=300 Intellect for 1 hour).

Professions

You should pick professions based on what you need the most. I will list the professions and their bonuses:

Tailoring: Lightweave Embroidery (back enchant) grants 2000 Intellect for 15 seconds with 20% proc chance on damage and has 50 seconds cooldown. Also, like mentioned you get cheap leg enchants for your items.

Enchanting: Enchant Ring - Greater Intellect grants 160 Intellect per ring.
Engineering: Synapse Springs (gloves enchant) grants 1920 Intellect for 10 seconds with 1 minute cooldown.

Blacksmithing: Extra gem sockets on wrists and gloves.
Jewelcrafting: You get to use two epic Brilliant Serpent's Eye gems which give you extra 320 Intellect (160 per gem).

Leatherworking: Fur Lining - Intellect (bracer enchant) grants 500 intellect.

Inscription: Secret Crane Wing Inscription (shoulder enchants) grants 520 Intellect and 100 Critical Strike
Alchemy: Mixology grants extra 320 Intellect when using Flask of the Warm Sun.
Skinning: Master of Anatomy grants 480 Critical Strike.

Herbalism: Lifeblood spell grants haste that averages to 480 haste.

Mining: It grants 480 stamina. Not useful for moonkins.

Mainly, what you want to do is pick two non-gathering professions (unless you need the non-gathering profession to support yourself). Some people believe that Engineering and Tailoring (or Engineering and Blacksmitthing) are the best combo for moonkins. If you want my opinion, you should go with Tailoring and Enchanting. That is because with Tailoring you have the Lightweave Embroidery enchant. Also, you get to make your leg enchants for nothing but vendor mats. Also, with Enchanting you can enchant yourself for free and you have permenant enchants (on your rings).

Pre-Raid Gear

Head: Snowdrift Helm (Justice Points)

Neck:  Necklace of the Terra-Cotta Invoker (ToT Trash Farm)

Shoulder: Whitepetal Shouldergarb (Justice Points)

Back: Static-Collecting Cloak (Justice Points)

Chest: Mistfall Robes (Justice Points)

Wrist: Clever Ashyo's Armband (Justice Points)

Gloves: Ogo's Elder Gloves (Justice Points)

Waist: Abandoned Zandalari Moonstrap (ToT Trash Farm)

Legs: Wind-Reaver Greaves (Justice Points)

Feet: Deeproot Treads (ToT Trash Farm)

Ring 1: Seal of the Prime (from Klaxxi quest named "Shadow of the Empire")

Ring 2: Leven's Circle of Hope (Justice Points)

Trinket 1: Blossom of Pure Snow (Justice Points)

Trinket 2: Relic of Yu'lon (From Inscription)

Main Hand:  Amber Spine of Klaxxi'vess (Klaxxi vendor in Dread Wastes but you have to be exalted) and upgradable to ilvl471 with only Justice Points

Off-Hand: Inscribed Red Fan (From Inscription) or Scroll of Whispered Secrets (BoE World drop)

Upgrades

You can use the following lists to find upgrades for your gear:

http://www.mop-veins...ot-best-in-slot
http://graymatterwow...of-9242012.html

The the first list, gives you a listing of all possible upgrades based on ilvl. You can use that to find the upper ilvl item to go for. The second list is based on the rating and it is better. Though, it is outdated. Though, you can still use it if you are starting to gear up.

Races

Worgen offer +1% critical strike with Viciousness while Trolls offer increased haste with Berserking. Though, the dps increase is not that much to justify picking those races over others. Personally, I think Night Elves are the best because of the Shadowmeld spell which allows you to go out of combat. This helps you with combat bugs and with you out of combat you can pop another potion or mass ress the raid.

Rotation

Single Target:

So, here comes the part where you need to focus on, which is your rotation. First of all, look at your Eclipse Bar the one to the top left corner of your screen, under your avatar (icon and name). Hover over it and you will see the number 0 to the middle. The sun to the right represents the Solar Eclipse while the moon represents the Lunar Eclipse. Your objective is to move your white little arrow (positioned on the eclipse bar) right and left. Wrath moves the arrow to the left towards the Lunar Eclipse while Starfire moves the arrow to the right towards the Solar Eclipse.

This is how you start your rotation. You need to move your arrow near the Lunar Eclipse. So, what do you do? Like I said Wrath moves the arrow to the left towards the Lunar Eclipse. Though, we want to move the arrow without using Wrath towards the lunar eclipse just an arrow away from the eclipse. You can do that by simple casting Astral Communion. Watch the arrow as it moves. Count three arrow ticks (movements) then stop. This is how you must position your arrow before the fight one tick away from the Lunar Eclipse.

After that when the tank pulls the boss, Starfall, then cast Sunfire and Moonfire and cast Wrath once. You will instantly move into the eclipse and you will see a moon above your moonkin head, showing you got into the eclipse and also the moon icon on the Eclipse bar will be lit. Now cast and continue casting Starfire while watching your Starfall on your buffs, as soon as it ends (Starfall), pop your Starfall again. Then keep casting Starfire refreshing the Sunfire and Moonfire spells as they drop on the boss. Keep casting the Starfire spell until you come out of the Lunar Eclipse, when the moon icon is no longer lit you are out of the eclipse. Now here is the tricky part. When you come out of the eclipse you simply pop your cds. Pop Hearth of the Wild, Celestial Alignment, and Incarnation: Chosen of Elune. Then cast a third Starfall and keep hitting Starfire refreshing Sunfire and Moonfire as they drop (there is a small detail in here I wont go to, so you would not get confused, not that important). Keep casting Starfire moving to the right until you hit the Lunar Eclipse the sun will be lit then you can start casting Wrath refreshing Sunfire and Moonfire as they drop. Keep casting Wrath moving to the left until you hit the Lunar Eclipse and repeat what you did. Note that you need to pop Starfalls when they are off the cooldown. Also, at this point whenever you see a buff coming online pop it.

That is most of the rotation. Get used to it then come back and read the following. Now that you are familar with the rotation. I want to introduce the Starsurge spell to you. Starsurge counts as Wrath and Starfire moving the arrow towards the eclipses. Also, it is the highest damage. So, how do you use it? You simple cast Starsurge when it is not on cd. Use it as a replacement for Wrath and Starfire when its available. Meaning if you have both Wrath and Starsurge available for you, you cast Starsurge instead of Wrath. The same goes for Starfire. That is it.

So, to simplify the rotation without all the fuss above:

1. Before the fight use Astral Communion to move the arrow on the eclipse bar to the left one notch away from the Lunar Eclipse (=3 arrow movements).

2. When the fight starts apply Sunfire and Moonfire. Try your best to keep them always up. If they drop you lose a lot of dps. Those are your DoTs (damage over time).

3. Pop Starfall.

4. Cast Starsurge.

5. Cast Starfire(or Starsurge if it is online) on the Lunar Eclipse.

6. Did the first Starfall buff end? Cast another Starfall.

7. Keep casting Starfire (or Starsurge if it is online) while keeping Sunfire and Moonfire up always.

8. Are you out of the Lunar Eclipse? Pop all your cds (Pop Hearth of the Wild, Celestial Alignment, Incarnation: Chosen of Elune, and trinket if available).

9. Pop a third Starfall and keep casting Starfire (or Starsurge if it is online) while keeping both Sunfire and Moonfire always.

10. When you reach the Lunar Eclipse start casting Wrath (or Starsurge if it is online).

11. Keep casting Wrath (or Starsurge if it is online) while keeping Sunfire and Moonfire on always.

12. Pop any cds or Starfalls as soon as you get them. Pop them all, do not wait.

13. If you are still casting Wrath (or Starsurge if it is online) by now you hit the Lunar Eclipse again.

14. Cast Starfire (or Starsurge if it is online) while keeping Sunfire and Moonfire up always.

15. Keep casting Starfire (or Starsurge if it is online) while keeping Sunfire and Moonfire up always.

16. Pop any cds or Starfalls as soon as you get them. Pop them all, do not wait.

17. Repeat 10-16.

Note that I repeated the steps more than one time. I wanted you to understand the Eclipses circles. You are moving back and fourth and back and fourth. Popping cds as soon they become online focusing on casting Starsurge always before Starfall and Wrath because it counts as both and its better than both of them. That is your roation. Read the roation over and over and familiarize yourself with it. It will take you a while to get used to it. Lastly, do not cast Astral Communion within the fight. It is not worth it.

If you still cannot understand the rotation and want to just play your moonkin and have some fun. Do not worry. I will provide you with three macros that will allow you to do decent dps without having to worry about the rotation above until you get used to it.

AoE (Area of Effect):

Place your mushrooms on the ground before the fight using the Wild Mushroom spell then when the fight starts Starfall then use WIld Mushroom detonate then cast and keep casting Hurricane. That is it.

Macros

The following macros are not mine. They belong to Chris (from wowlazymacros.com).

Starfire Macro

#showtooltip Starfire
/cast [noform] !Moonkin Form
/targetenemy [noharm]
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,0,0,Starsurge
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,0,Celestial Alignment
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,Starfall
/castsequence reset=target/4 Moonfire,Sunfire,Starfire,Starfire,Starfire,Starfire
/cast Incarnation

Wrath Macro

#showtooltip Wrath
/cast [noform] !Moonkin Form
/targetenemy [noharm]
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,0,0,Starsurge
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,0,Celestial Alignment
/castsequence reset=0.5 0,Starfall
/castsequence reset=target/4 Moonfire,Sunfire,Wrath,Wrath,Wrath,Wrath
/cast Incarnation

CDs Macro

#showtooltip Celestial Alignment
/cast Celestial Alignment
/cast Incarnation: Chosen of Elune
/use 13
/use 14

After creating the macros put them on your actionbars then do the following. Cast Astral Communion until you see it move three notches (movements). Then wait for the fight to start. Then, hit the Wrath macro twice, you will notice that it casts Sunfire and Moonfire with the first two clicks. Now pop Starfall then hit the Wrath macro one more time it will cast Wrath and move you into the Lunar Eclipse. Now, keep hitting the Starfire macro until you come out of the Lunar Eclipse then hit the CDs macro plus Gift of the Wild then keep hitting the Starfire macro. Keep doing that until you hit the Lunar Eclipse. Then start hitting the Wrath macro until you hit the Lunar Eclipse then Starfire macro and so on. Pop your cds as soon as they come available. The Starfire and Wrath macros handle your DoTs and Starsurges for you with 80% efficiency. You will not do your maximum dps but you will pull decent dps  with those macros. Just keep spamming and never stop.

Addons

clcEclipseBar is probably the best Eclipse Bar addon that shows the bar anywhere you want on the screen with nice settings.

TellMeWhen is probably the best addon for spells/buffs/cds monitoring. You can use it to track your cds and spells. If I get enough requests, I will add a portion explaining how to configure it for your moonkin.

Resources

I have used the following threads as references:

http://www.mmo-champ...ide-5-4-Edition
http://us.battle.net...ic/9423502724#4
http://forums.elitis...-and-discussion

http://wowlazymacros...kin-5-4/page/2/

Let me know if you like the guide. Took me a long time to write it. Also, do not copy the guide without providing a link to this thread. Any questions? Ask away.

3 people like this

I'm a simple man. I see a boomie guide, I press like.

1 person likes this

Balance is just too slow

Balanse just to low? U ARE not true man 530 LVL BOOMKIM in tsm pull 460k dps one target. Normal dps 200-230k huw is low? :D

Thanks Bro!!

1 person likes this

I love your guide. Maybe you should create a guide for Feral Druids, i've seen lots of people try and play them and can't get it correctly.

1 person likes this

On 11/15/2015, 4:27:46, Isán Kendall said:

I love your guide. Maybe you should create a guide for Feral Druids, i've seen lots of people try and play them and can't get it correctly.

I am really sorry, but I do not play MoP that much, anymore. I only log to check on RF progress between now and then plus using my professions cooldowns.

there is one BIG problem:) DONT USE YOUR Heart of Wild in your burst... Heart of wild is to use when your healers need help, or your tank/off tank are dead, before they ress them, if you want more bursty dmg - nature vigil is your friend, it have 1,5 min cd, increase your dps by 13% + what you deal as damage, will % heal someone near you, Heart of Wild have passive bonus +5% to stats, and you need pop it when situation need it, because cd on this is crazy - 5-8 min, when you pop it, you can be tank/meele dps/healer for 45% sec, i use this when healers need help, so using this while you are in burst, you are losing one of your talents for nothing

Edited by Poro

i dont know if it is true, but i think incarnation last longer then Celestial Alignment, so pop it before you reach 0, because if you pop it in your burst, you will lose celestial, and incarnation will be still up for few seconds, but you will not profit, because incarnation will increase DPS only while in eclipse